[nobe-l] Esablishing a School for the Blind

Elizabeth Phillips evp at email.arizona.edu
Fri Jun 15 19:59:21 UTC 2012

Hi there,

I don't know much about establishing a school for the blind, but I can share
what I know regarding providing free resources to the students.  Someone
recently recommended NVDA to me, and I've been using it consistently for the
past two weeks and it works just as well as JAWS 11.  It's completely free
open source technology,and can be installed on computers as well as thum
drives which makes it much more portable.
http://www.nvda-project.org/
I also found the following links to other opensource screen reading
software.
http://ostatic.com/blog/4-open-source-applications-for-the-visually-impaired
http://www.disaboom.com/vision-and-hearing-technology/assistive-technology-b
rowsers-for-the-blind
http://www.disabled-world.com/assistivedevices/computer/screen-readers.php
Project Gutenberg is an excellent source of accessible texts.
However you might also want to look at the following links to free
textbooks, simulations, labs, teaching/learning resources, and assignments
to see if there is a potential for any of this material to be informative
for and accessible to your students.
http://www.ck12.org/flexbook/
http://www.ksde.org/Default.aspx?tabid=4995

And here are some more resources like this.
http://www.oercommons.org/courses/material_types/textbooks?gclid=CKq3ls_70LA
CFaYaQgodvXpzXw
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.edutopia.org/blog/david-thornburg-open-source-textbooks
http://classroom-aid.com/educational-resources/open-educational-resources/cu
rriculum/

I also found an article on RFB and D in the U.S.  and it's involvement in
making open source and etext material accessible to blind students, even
when those books contain graphics.  I'm not sure if such a thing can be
replicated in Uganda, but it could be worth aspiring to.
http://www.edutopia.org/digital-textbooks-new-hope-for-visually-impaired

I hope this information is somewhat helpful.  Good luck in your endeavor in
starting your school.  I think it is a very commendable project and wish you
the very best with it.

Liz