[nobe-l] An assessment question

Jordana Engebretsen JEngebretsen at KPBSD.k12.ak.us
Thu Oct 25 22:55:28 UTC 2012

Dear Teachers,
My name is Jordana Engebretsen, I am a TVI in Alaska.  I have been working here just one year.  I do like my job a lot.  I do need to stay connected with other teachers with visual impairments.  I am totally blind and mobility challenge.  I have a question that comes back again and again from teachers and parents.  Do we know of a test that could measure the cognitive abilities of a visually impaired student?  Most tests are very visual and a lot of the questions are looking for visual information.
I have been asked frequently about accurate testing for Visually Impaired students.  I am copying a question from a regular education teacher.   Here is the question: "I have a meeting for Lisa W next week and I wanted to test her to get an age / grade level. Do you know of any tests that would be appropriate for a visually impaired child that would have print large enough for her to see to get an accurate measure?

Teachers, any help would be appreciate it,
Jordana