[nobe-l] Questions from a Perspective Teacher

Michelle Creedy michelle.creedy at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 02:02:10 UTC 2012

Hello List

My name is Michelle and I live in British Columbia Canada. I've
finally decided to take the plunge and do what it takes to become a
teacher of blind students. Fear has been holding me back for some time
however I've had a wonderful boost in my attitudes and skills around
blindness over the past year so some of the fears are no longer even
worth pondering. I've been trying to figure out my path for some time
now and after having some wonderful experiences volunteering this
summer at an intensive for blind students I've decided this is the
time!

My focus will be elementary school aged children and I need to take a
course called Math for Elementary School Teachers as part of the
pre-requisits for the Teacher Education program. The thought of taking
math courses scares the living daylights out of me because I was
terrible in math at school but here we go. Braille is my primary
medium especially when it comes to math and I'm wondering whether
anyone has good suggestions on how I might either get the book
transcribed or even get it in a form of E-Braille that is actually
interpreted properly by my braille display.

I'm also wondering if there are any of you who teach in the Washington
or Portland areas? It would be wonderful to connect with someone who
has actually done this successfully. At this point, I'm not as
concerned about talking to someone who is a teacher of blind students
as what I am with talking to someone who is in a classroom teaching
sighted students. This is what I'll have to do in my practicum and
teacher training and I know they will ask me a ton of questions as to
how I'll accomplish particular tasks. I plan to start volunteering in
the elementary school system as soon as possible again.

I'm sure excited to have found this list! Hope you don't mind lots and
lots of questions because trust me, I have many!

Michelle