[nobe-l] 2nd year teacher

Misty Dawn Bradley mistydbradley at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 22:17:18 UTC 2013

Hi Jessica,
I am not sure how accessible Moodle is from the instructor's side, but I use
Moodle as a student at my local community college, and it works great with
JAWS so far, and I am in my second year of college using Moodle for mostly
online-only and a few on-campus classes. I am also using a laptop with JAWS
10 and Windows 7, and Moodle works well. Also, you can make the Moodle exams
timed or make the students use a lock-down browser so you can prevent
cheating. You could also have them type up their test answers using a word
document and then have them email it or place it on a flash drive, although
there could be more of a chance that students could look up answers or cheat
this way unless you provided the flash drives only to be used during the
test and not have them bring their own from home.
I have also used a free site in a former Spanish class called Study Spanish
at
http://www.studyspanish.com
This site is very accessible, and it offers free lessons with activities,
quizzes, and tests, and it also allows you to have a gradebook to keep track
of all students' progress, although each student would have to create an
account and link it to your gradebook  using a unique code that you give
them. I believe that they have a free option and a premium one, but my
instructor and the class only used the free option, and we were still able
to record our grades and keep track of them. I used it as a student and
liked the content, and I was able to use it independently with JAWS.
Hope this helps,
Misty