[nobe-l] communicate with blind special education teacher strategies teach reading to studdents with learning disabilities

Joanne Zucker jezu36 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 22 13:43:04 UTC 2013

Hi Sara,

I am assuming that the student that you are talking about is both LD and VI. What is the age and grade level of the child you are referring to? If he/she has phonemic awareness issues, the Wilson Reading program may work...this program can be purchased in braille at APH...not sure about quota funds, though. And, usually the person using the program needs to be Wilson certified...I have this certification.

If the child strictly has reading comprehension issues, I have used the principles of the 100 Book Challenge program (some other programs are similar).  This is expensive and your school may not have it, but I can share some of the basics with you.  First, you need to know what is the student's functional reading level (or slightly below). Then allow the student to choose from a variety of books (different genres) at that level. The student should read at least 1/2 on his/her own.  You may want to also read the book before the student does.  Then you can prepare materials, develop comprehension questions, etc.  Knowing your students strengths and weaknesses is also very important in the development of activities and questions.  Let me know if I can be of more help...I really only touched the surface.

Joanne