[nobe-l] Working with nonverbal individuals as a totally blind person

Elizabeth Phillips evp at email.arizona.edu
Tue Mar 12 02:36:20 UTC 2013

Well: you could use sign language with spelling words into a person's palm
or connecting a Braille display to a computer or their communication device
so you can read their words on their screen.  Or, draw tactile graphics.
You can also have them do something for yes, something for no, and only ask
them yes/no questions.  But obviously that is limiting.  On the other hand,
you might want a sighted interpreter especially if these people are paying
you per hour for your time.  The amount of time you would need to simply
speak to each other let alone work together might not make it worth while
for any of them to pay you per hour, Unless an agency was paying you rather
than individuals.  Having a sighted interpreter would make things just that
much more efficient and that's always appreciated.
Good luck!