[nobe-l] Teaching College Spanish

Corey Grandstaff corey.grandstaff at gmail.com
Wed May 22 00:53:30 UTC 2013

I am a current Social studies Teacher of the blind for the high school level
at a blind school: however, I did my student teaching in both a public high
school and middle school setting. I would echo what was already said about
seating arrangements, I actually have my classroom set up in a u-setting
which works because you can walk around and stand in front of each student.
Although it sounds to basic, when they talk about proximity in the
classroom, that really does work. In addition, most behaviors, other than
sleeping, are quite verbal, so using those listening skills can help you
solve a lot of situations. And the philosophy I take in my classroom is I
ask random students questions, which catches those students who do sleep
during class. Testing is the real challenge as far as cheating, I am still
working this one out. As far as grading, I tell my students from day one
everything is done in an electronic format, and I will not accept documents
in any other format, even tests. I e-mail the tests right before they are
taken, and students e-mail back when they are done. A lot of it has to do
with being up front, direct, and to the point with students. And as far as
finding a teaching job right now, I put in over 250 applications before
receiving two in-person interviews, so good luck, and if you have any more
questions, let me know.
     Corey Grandstaff