[nobe-l] Teaching College Spanish

Lucy Sirianni lucysirianni at earthlink.net
Tue May 21 20:18:18 UTC 2013

In my experience, asking students to state their names before
speaking has worked quite well.  You might also try implementing
assigned seating, though in some instances getting students to
remember may be more trouble than it's worth.  Speaking of
seating, I tend to like to have students sit in a circle, as I
find this configuration easier to navigate while moving among
students working in pairs or small groups.

Another technique I've heard about for calling on students is to
have them call on each other, asking each speaker to choose the
next respondent.  This is more of a general pedagogical strategy
than a specifically blindness-related technique, as it encourages
students to engage in conversation with each other rather than
just with the teacher.  I haven't had occasion to try this
approach myself, but it might work well in certain situations.

Grading exams is not something I have firsthand experience with
yet either, but assuming the exams are taken in class and
handwritten, I would plan to either scan them or hire someone to
type or record them for me.  Comments could be returned
electronically.

Please don't hesitate to let me or the list know if you have
further questions!

Lucy