[nobe-l] tutoring math

Kelsey Nicolay kelseynicolay1989 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 18:48:47 UTC 2014

Hello,
My name is Kelsey Nicolay and I am new to the list as well as the
Federation in general.  I am a part of wyzant, which is a website
used by students and tutors to connect to one another.  I
received an inquiry from a mother requesting tutoring for her son
in geometry.  I took geometry in high school and did well in it,
but I'm not sure whether I could tutor it.  I'm completely blind
and therefore use JAWS and an apex and sometimes a Perkins
brailler.  I am a member of Bookshare, so if necessary, I could
go on there and access the textbooks they have.  Therefore, do
you think a blind person could feasibly tutor a geometry student
or any math for that matter? If so, how could I help the student
if I don't have access to the figures? Would they have to
describe the diagram and give me the dimensions and I could help
them that way? Or is there another way that would work? I welcome
any suggestions anyone might have.
Thanks,
Kelsey Nicolay