[nobe-l] New member introduction (Teaching English as a secondlanguage)

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 27 23:36:41 UTC 2014

Miranda,

I think you're the same one I saw on nabs ACB list.
Welcome. I'm not teaching, but as I have  a passion to
help kids and adults learn, and have comtemplated grad school, I am on the
list to learn how you teachers do it.

I'm in search of a job before trying grad school.
If I ever taught professionally, I'd either teach writing as that's my
strongest area; maybe reading, or being a TVI.
I could even see myself teaching kindergarten.

I am wondering if your english for speakers of other languages class is
volunteer. When you say its community based, I suspect it is.
What exactly do you do? How did you access the curriculum?
I think it would be impossible to teach them reading and writing as they
cannot verbalize what is there. Well, maybe advanced speakers, but not
beginning.
I think if I volunteered for ESL, I'd focus on speaking and listening.
ESL is a very good thing to get involved  in and its nice to see another
blind person doing it.
It’s a lot of work but really makes a difference in someone's life.

What are you studying? I think you're at liberty, right?
I know a blind student studying history there and can connect you two if you
want.

Take care.
Ashley