[nobe-l] Question for anyone familiar with Virginia (or other state) requirements for teaching in ABE programs

Arthur Jacobs ajacobs633 at aol.com
Wed Dec 31 10:30:45 UTC 2014

Hello Miranda,

I would suggest contacting an organization that provides the education you want to be involved in and ask what qualifications they require. I think this will point you in the right direction regarding education and licensing. 


Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 30, 2014, at 10:46 PM, Miranda B. via nobe-l <nobe-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a question for anyone familiar with teaching in Virginia, although
> those of you familiar with other states' regulations are welcome to provide
> input too. I am planning to transfer in the fall of 2015 from my current
> Associates to a Bachelors in Interdisciplinary Studies with cognates in
> global studies and teaching English as a second language. While I love
> children overall, I do not wish to teach in the K-12 classroom, and would
> therefore like to teach adults. I have been encouraged by others to explore
> the "Adult Basic Education" option. However, I cannot find the requirements
> to teach in this environment. I realize this program is often administered
> within the public school system. Here are my questions for anyone with
> insight:
> 1. Does anyone know the requirements to teach in the adult basic education
> environment in Virginia?
> 2. If I don't wish to teach in the K-12 classroom, could someone explain to
> me (in non-confusing terms please) the licensing/endorsement requirements to
> teach in an adult learning environment such as the adult basic education
> programs?
> From what I'm trying to understand through the Virginia Department of
> Education website, it looks as though in order to receive the add-on adult
> English as a second language endorsement, I first need to obtain the 5-year
> license for K-12, even though I don't plan to teach that age group.
> If this is the case, and if my chosen Bachelors doesn't include teacher
> licensure (I don't want to do the TESL Bachelors, because I want the
> additional specialization in global studies), would a Masters in teaching
> English as a second language with an adult emphasis satisfy the educational
> requirements? If so, can anyone recommend any specific online graduate TESL
> programs focused on adult education? I want to do my graduate work online,
> as I am already a non-traditional student and I'm hoping to have time for
> family and possible employment while completing any graduate coursework.
> Any advice, explanations, encouragement, or otherwise would be very helpful.
> The more I read, the more confused and frustrated I become.
> Thanks, and Happy New Year!
> --Miranda
> _______________________________________________
> nobe-l mailing list
> nobe-l at nfbnet.org
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/nobe-l_nfbnet.org
> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for nobe-l:
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nobe-l_nfbnet.org/ajacobs633%40aol.com

More information about the NOBE-L mailing list