[nobe-l] teaching techniques questions

Fredrick Hardyway fredhardyway at live.com
Wed Feb 5 01:04:10 UTC 2014

Hello Craig,
I am on my second semester as a TA at Washington State University, and while
I am working with college students, I have experienced a few of the things
you are talking about.
As far as handwritten papers, I had a Professor I worked with last semester
who required written exams.  Luckily I was able to have my wife read the
majority of them to me.
I also utilized from time to time a CCTV.  I do not know the level of your
vision however, so I do not know if this would work for you.  Also, if you
do have some vision, and a smart phone, I have an Android, there are apps
which will magnify similar to, if not better than a CCtv.
Creatively, you may want to have the students come up to you and read what
they write and turn it into a class discussion.
As too your second question, yes I utilize a screen reading software, NVDA,
which is free and allows you to create a thumb drive version to take with
you.  When I am lecturing, or giving presentations, I just put in the thumb
drive and turn any computer into a "talking accessible" computer.  With
PowerPoints, the screen reader will report the page to you, and unlike JAWS,
the NVDA can be set to read items and characters under the mouse!
Ultimately, I have not found the need to be high-tech to teach, which is
nice.  Many laptops, PacMates, and other devices have a built in Bluetooth,
which is what many Whiteboards and projector units are utilizing in
classrooms today, you should have no problem interfacing with these devices
with your own technology.
I hope this helps, and I would enjoy more dialogue with you.
Fred