[nobe-l] IPhone question

Heather Field missheather at comcast.net
Sat Oct 18 21:34:00 UTC 2014

Hello Kathy,
National Braille Press has an up-to-date book on how to use the iPhone for
blind users. It costs around $20 and is, from all reports, really very
comprehensive and helpful. There is also a small set of raised diagrams that
depict various screen layouts which is also very helpful.
www.nbp.org
I have purchased both, but haven't got the phone yet. I've been holding off
till they released the iPhone 6 and IOS 8.
Be warned that the word on the street is that the IOS 8 is very buggy for
Voice Over users. Apple is pretty responsive in fixing them but it does take
them time.
I believe you can download the book in e-braille which might be helpful for
you if you are anxious to get started. Also, Mike Freeman had a fairly
helpful "getting started" article in the Braille Monitor earlier this year.
You may find that helpful also. In the article he did say that the learning
curve at the beginning was steep and discouraging and frustrating but to
push on through as the benefits will soon show.
I hope that's helpful.
Warmly,
Heather Field