[nobe-l] IPhone question

Sarah Clark sarah at sarahaclark.com
Sat Oct 18 22:03:30 UTC 2014

Hi,

Heather covered the resources really well so there's really not much more to
add on that.

But as far as the gestures, the primary ones I use are swiping to the right
with one finger to go to the next item, or to the left to get to the prior
item. (Or you can also just move your finger around the screen and Voiceover
will say what you are on, but swiping is a little more systematic way to
navigate when you're learning.)
No matter which of the above methods you use, when you reach what you want
to activate you would double tap with one finger. If it is an edit field
double tapping with 1 finger puts you into the edit field so that you can
type. Then the onscreen keyboard comes up at the bottom of the screen where
you can type whatever you want. There is also a dictate button on the
keyboard to the left of the spacebar, which lets you speak what you want to
write instead of needing to type it out. It works really well and I use it
all the time.
To access Siri you simply press and hold the home button until you hear a
ding and then you speak.
When you're done speaking it will either stop recording (letting you know
with a tone) or you can just do a 2 finger double tap to stop the recording.
This same 2 finger double tap is used to answer a phone call and to hang up
a call.

There are a couple of other gestures that I use regularly, but they are a
little bit more advanced and not completely necessary until you get a little
bit comfortable with using the phone.
But in case you want to know for the future, they involve the roter. Your
friend can show you how to use that when you're ready. (Its probably easier
to be shown in person rather than figuring it out from written
instructions.)

I hope this is helpful,
Sarah