[nobe-l] IPhone question

Karl Martin Adam kmaent1 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 03:59:04 UTC 2014

Hi Kathy,

I can sympathize with wanting to throw the IPhone through the
window, that was my reaction for the first couple weeks of having
one as well.  But as others have said, it does get better!  In
addition to the resources others have offered, the IPhone itself
has a tutorial feature.  Double tap on settings then on general
then on accessibility then on voiceover then on tutorial to bring
it up.  The way it works is that you try different motions with
your fingers on the screen, and the phone tells you what they do.
You can swipe up, down, left, right, or tap with one, two, or
three fingers in addition to the rotor motion, which involves
placing both fingers on the screen about an inch apart and
spinning them as if you had a dial with one finger on each edge.
I also use a bluetooth keyboard with my IPhone because the
on-screen keyboard quite frankly sucks.  Naztech makes a very
nice bluetooth keyboard that comes as part of an IPhone case so
that it basically turns the IPhone into a phone with a slide out
keyboard, and I believe that other companies make similar
products.  Something else to make sure of is that you set the
triple click of the home button to turn voiceover on.  That will
save you when voiceover crashes, which it does now and then.  I'm
still running IOS 6, so I'm not sure where you set that in 8, but
if it's like 6 it's a setting under general.

Best,
Karl