[nobe-l] IPhone and news

Kathy Nimmer goldendolphin17 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 22 11:07:42 UTC 2014

Hello,

  Thanks to all who had suggestions on the IPhone. Hours with my blind
friend have made me not afraid of the phone, and I actually am understanding
its structure. It must be how our students feel when they meet something
completely new. With time, I know I will see more and more of the benefits
of this device.

  I've been wrestling with how to share some big news without tooting my own
horn, and I've not figured out a great way. However, the IPhone topic seems
a good opening since I took that step due to this news, so here goes.

  On September 30, I learned that I was selected as Indiana Teacher of the
Year. I had previously been chosen my building winner and then my district
winner. Through September, I advanced to the top ten in the state and then
the top three. It is a multi-layered competition that I will not bore you
with details at this time, but the journey has been stunning and humbling. I
turn in my application for National Teacher of the Year tomorrow.

  This honor is also a job. In the next year and a half, I will travel to
five national meetings, conferences, or celebratory trips, including Space
Camp in Alabama and a week in DC where I will meet the President. I will
also have the option to take the 2015/2016 year completely off of teaching
to complete what they call my "Year of Service." I will attend mandatory
meetings and seminars that year, and from what I can tell, I can shape the
rest of the time according to my passions. Mine is public speaking in a
motivational role, so I will likely travel the state to do that in schools
and other venues. Many details must be pounded out, including
accommodations, but it will definitely change my world for the next several,
several months.

  Below is a link to the video they made of the afternoon I found out I was
the winner in a surprise ceremony. It is short but powerful. I cannot
remember a thing about that afternoon, so I am glad the whole thing was
captured on video. I hope to use this role in part to open the public's eyes
to the potential and ability of blind people, the rules and roles of guide
dogs, and the power we all have to face and overcome obstacles. I am still
pinching myself and still fighting a sense of anxiety and inadequacy, but
each day has made me more confident that God has a plan for me in this role,
and I just need to trust. Here is the link in which you will have to click
the play button, and thanks for everything this list offers:

http://www.doe.in.gov/toy