[nobe-l] being a teacher and having to compromise on beliefs

Karl Martin Adam kmaent1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 15:50:27 UTC 2014

Hi Kayla, I'm not a TVI, but as a blind person, I think this is
an issue of equality for blind students.  A blind student should
receive the same test that his or her sighted peers are
receiving, and when you're transcribing something it's your job
to give the blind student that equal access.  Whether you
personally agree with what your transcribing really doesn't
matter; you have a responsibility to make sure that blind
students are receiving the same education that sighted students
are.  You wouldn't correct say a mathematical mistake the teacher
made on a math test, and you shouldn't alter a question that you
think is wrong in science or history or whatever either.  So what
you're saying to your blind student who needs a test transcribed
that you disagree with is that that student is just as good as
all the sighted students and should have access to the same
materials.

Best,
Karl