[nobe-l] being a teacher and compromising on beliefs

Brandy W., with Discovery Toys ballstobooks at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 23:10:39 UTC 2014

I have been a nanny, and while it is doable it really depends on if you live
in the city, do you have public transportation available? What
responsibilities does the family wish for you to carry out? One of my nanny
jobs wanted me to take their child to a music class and it was walking
distance away, and the library which was a short bus trip away and I did
these things. Another wanted short walks, and for me to care for their child
soly in their home and the local park. We also went in their back yard to
play. Also how confident in your blindness skills are you? I can walk in any
home, and preferably with a quick tour around can care for any child, cook
and clean any meal, but not all blind people have this skill set. When you
come into a home can you be independent. Do you have the advocacy skills to
ask if you may label their microwave and washer. I didn't like being a
nanny, and while not for the reasons heather listed, but rather I wanted to
do my dishes and fold my own laundry while the children in my care slept not
someone else's. I care for children in my home now as a licensed child care
home in MI. I just wrote an article for future reflections that is in the
most current issue. If you search my name on the NFB site that is the first
thing that comes up.

I have heard of a blind nurse over the years, but they are usually private
nurses that work in homes where they can use all of their talking tools to
get the job done. I would not be willing to go through all that training for
the lowest paying nurse job. I'd be very interested to know of blind nurses
in the mainstream field in hospitals and doctors' offices.

Bran