[nobe-l] Questions on INterning in a Special Ed Classroom

Miso Kwak kwakmiso at aol.com
Thu Jul 16 21:01:46 UTC 2015

Hello,
I am a college student, looking for an internship to complete my minor
requirements for disability studies.
One of possible internship sites is a special ed classroom in
elementary school for moderate to severe autistic students.
I would like to ask a few questions in the scenario that I get accepted
for this internship and decide to pursue it.
1. At what point of the application process, should I disclose that I
am blind?
2. What are some reasonable accommodations I could request in this
setting? Of course, it will depend on what my tasks are as an intern,
but if there is any general ones I should be aware of?
3. What are some nonvisual, alternative techniques and strategies I
could use as almost totally blind person working in this setting? -
both interacting with the classroom teacher and completing any
administrative/management tasks and interacting with autistic
elementary school aged students

I would greatly appreciate your help
Best,
Miso Kwak