[nobe-l] Questions on INterning in a Special Ed Classroom

Heather Field missheather at comcast.net
Thu Jul 16 21:38:43 UTC 2015

Hello Miso,
I am a blind teacher so I'm answering your inquiry from that perspective. I
don't believe this would be a very good placement for you since most
children in the group you have identified tend to have little or no
language. Some may use signing and some may use a communication tray or
board,  but many are nonverbal. While it is possible for a blind teacher to
build up a rapport over time with such a student if they need to, working in
a classroom with an entire class of such students and being restricted to a
short time frame and not being in a position to implement changes which
maximise your ability to use nonvisual communication techniques sounds to me
like you are setting yourself up for a very difficult experience. There may
also be record sheets and behaviour monitoring records that you're asked to
fill out during the day based on your interactions. While all these things
can be managed if you are in charge of the classroom as the main teacher, in
my experience as a student teacher/inter etc. it is usually not possible to
make the changes necessary to enable you to work well in this setting.
Obviously, there are lots of unknown factors in this scenario which I am not
taking into account. However, it seems to me that this would not be an ideal
environment for you to work. I would suggest that you make inquiries and see
if there are other opportunities where the children are verbal. Of course,
you could inquire about this particular classroom to ascertain how many of
the children are verbal. My sense of the situation is that, if you really
would like experience with this population of students and would like to
work with them, then you should disclose your blindness if your are accepted
for the position and begin immediately to work on how you can overcome these
difficulties.
Keep us posted on how it all turns out.
Warmly,
Heather