[nobe-l] Accessibility questions for teaching math to the sighted

Chase Crispin chase.crispin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 01:13:08 UTC 2015

Hi David,
Orbit Research has adapted the TI-84 graphing calculator, which is the most
common graphing calculator used in high school and college classrooms.  It
is sold by the American Printing House for the blind as the Orion TI-84 Plus
Talking Graphing Calculator.  This calculator allows a blind student or
teacher to use all functions of the calculator with speech or by connecting
a braille display.  When you generate a graph, the graph is played with
tones.  The higher the pitch, the higher the coordinates on the graph.  You
can wear headphones to hear the audio move from left to right as it traces
the graph, which can allow you to visualize the shape of the graph.  The
unit vibrates when in the negative region, and the unit makes various beeps
to indicate maximums, minimums, intersections, etc.  Since this unit is the
standard calculator with a speech unit on top, it is operated the same way
sighted students would use the calculator, so you could tell them exactly
which buttons to press and let them look at the output on your screen.  You
could also print graphs from the calculator and display them on the
classroom wall or board.  If you want to learn more about the calculator,
search for it on:
http://shop.aph.org/

At the NABS meeting at Convention, someone demonstrated a math editor that
was fully accessible that would allow you to enter, manipulate, and display
math equations, but I do not have the name of that product written down.
Hopefully someone else here knows about this software and can provide you
with more detailed information.  I hope this helps.

Chase Crispin