[nobe-l] Accessibility questions for teaching math to the sighted

David Moore jesusloves1966 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 21:15:45 UTC 2015

Hi Chase and all on this list,
Thank you so much, Chase, for the info about the TI-84 graphing
calculator. That will definitely let me present graphs and tell the
sighted what to do on their calculators. That is a huge part of what I
would need to do. If anyone can discuss editors that would allow me to
edit and manipulate math equations so I could present them to the
class, I would be so grateful. I have heard about Lean Editor, and
heard that the new Beta is coming out for trying soon. To read math
texts the class would be using, are getting a audio recording of the
text or doing OCR with Infty reader the only choices? I have a Braille
translator from 2005, and an old Romio Braile embosser. Would that
work for obtaining Braille formats of the math materials? How
expensive is Infty reader if I would need that. I hear it is quite
expensive. The way Rehab works in Ohio, is that you have to get the
job first before Rehab will buy any technology. How can I start a job
without the technology to start the job with? I appreciate any help
you have no matter how small. I do have a case open with Rehab, but
all they are doing for me is helping me to find a call center job. I
have a real God-given talent for explaining math in a way that will
allow many kinds of students with different learning needs to
understand the concepts. The sighted people I have helped orally with
math, tell me they never understood the concepts the way I explain
them in their entire lives. If I can present the material like a
sighted teacher, my dream would be fulfilled. I love teaching math
much more than using math to do applied problems like being an
engineer. I love math just for math itself. I am very outgoing though
and love working with and helping people with my math talents. I am
not the kind of person who just wants to sit in a lab and do math
computations all day to solve every-day life problems. I am definitely
a research-academic person. Take care and have a good day.