[nobe-l] tutoring ESL clients

Kelsey Nicolay kelseynicolay1989 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 11:18:58 UTC 2015

Hi Ashley,
Yes, I have tutored ESL students.  What I did was write down the
vocabulary on my Braillenote and emailed it to her after the
lesson so she could study it.  For pronunciation, a lot can be
gained by listening.  When I tutored my student, we spent a lot
of time working on her ;this sound and I just listened to her
pronunciation and tried to correct it based on the descriptions I
read online.  Another method is to give your students a mirror
and ask them to tell you what their mouth is doing.  I also
watched youtube videos on pronunciation with my student so they
could watch a professional pronounce the sound we were working
on.  I will tell you that if you have to work on their r, it is
going to be difficult.  That's where we struggled.
I really do not see why you could not bring your laptop with
JAWS.  I did that and my student had no issues with my blindness.
She only had to help me when youtube decided to show an ad.
Hope this is helpful.
Thank you,
Kelsey Nicolay