[nobe-l] Questions from a beginning teacher

Kathy goldendolphin17 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 30 11:41:14 UTC 2015

Congratulations. I have finished 23 years of teaching high school English in a public school, so consider me a resource without limits as you begin your career. Awesome.
As for handwritten work, yes, someone would have to read it to you. We do relatively little handwritten in my class, but when I do is sign it, it is often for a simple enough standard that I can coach a sighted person to scan it for me. That avoids the agony of someone deciphering 150 handwritten pieces that would take hours and hours that could be spent in better pursuits.

As to document cameras, I use the KNFB reader for myself, but I know that is not what you mean. My classroom aide works the whiteboard for me. I do not have direct experience in using any of that technology successfully independently.

As to learn invoices, yes, use a seating chart. Have the kids say their names when they are volunteering answers or questions, instead of raising their hands. Do a good enough job the first week of writing down phonetic pronunciation's, personal notes about voices like high-pitched or southern accent, and interactive activities were even the quietest must speak up. All of that footwork will help you learn the voices sooner. You will learn the participators first, the spunky or feisty kids second, and the middle quiet kids who would rather fade into the background last. Be patient with yourself.

Feel free to write me off list at any time. I am taking a year-long leave from the classroom to travel around the state and nationally as Indiana Teacher of the Year, which means my entire job this next year is helping teachers, including you if you so choose. Where are you located? If my travel takes me to your neck of the woods, I would love to connect with you. Again, congratulations. You knocked down the barrier of getting hired. Now it is your time to shine.

Kathy Nimmer
Even in the valleys, keep believing in the mountains.