[nobe-l] Questions from a beginning teacher

Brian J. Quintana satellite07 at msn.com
Thu Jul 30 15:06:27 UTC 2015

Dear Craig,

You ask some great questions.

1. Does your school have computers, or tablets for each student to use
during class? If yes, you simply have them save them on Google Docx, or have
them e-mail them to you to read. Where I live in CA, the district provides
some money to allow me to hire a reader for this exact purpose, not many
hours a week, but still something for which I am thankful.
2. I use a laptop connected to an LCD projector in my room. Originally, I
brought my own, but then the entire school got wired for ceiling-mounted
projectors. There is also a smart board, but the software is not very
accessible, so I have my reader create the slide shows. Then, the eager
students jump at the opportunity to run the show on the board.
3. While I do not have as many students as you, I have had nearly 90 at one
time, and it took me a good month to recognize all of them by their voices.
I always start the year with seating charts from the first day of school.
Perhaps with high schoolers it is different, but in my experience, letting
my sixth graders choose their own seats on the first day communicates that
they are in charge, not you. Naturally, they will sit with their friends, so
there is a higher level of disruptions right away, and until you know them,
it will be more difficult to get under control when you do not know who may
be the cause. Second, if you make the seating chart, and if you have some
sort of Braille copy, or digital copy, you are more likely to start learning
names more quickly, but also lets you know who you just happened to place
near each other, but who should not sit near each other.

It is important to not get too frustrated with not learning names, or voices
right away. Just like with a sighted teacher, it will take a while. One
thing I tell my students to do, at least in the first month is that when
they approach me in class, or outside is to say, "Mr. Q," it is Jose, may I
borrow a pencil." If they forget, I may say, "Remind me your name again."

Brian