[nobe-l] Introduction and Advice for Student Teaching

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 4 01:24:09 UTC 2016

Kayla,
You should focus on whatever major you picked in community college or just
get a general associates degree.
It really does not matter what it is now if you plan to transfer to a
university setting. Focus on general courses and get good grades so you can
be accepted into a good university.
Also decide your future by volunteering with the populations you want to
potentially work with and do some job shadowing if possible.

I was going to be a teacher and still may try pursuing this in grad school.
Right now, I really just want an entry level job preferabily helping kids
directly or indirectly meaning I would be happy in an office as a program or
communications staff person in a program which supports kids or youth.
Like you as a student I had lots of interests.
But in undergrad at marymount university, I tried pursuing elementary ed and
then was planning to get a masters in teaching vision impaired students.
I could not handel the requirements of the elementary ed degree for many
reasons and had trouble in observation hours where you are placed in a
school and supposed to observe teaching techniques. For me the field
placement was difficult to follow what the kids were doing and a lot of it
was visual activities at their desks coloring or doing crafts.
Anyways, I changed my major to liberal arts with focus on social sciences
and communication basically creating my own indiseplanary degree.

I had and still have many of the same concerns about rejection and being
hired in any work with children as you  voiced here. Still, study what you
want to and the rest will follow. You cannot base your major and college
studies on potential fears. Even if you totally change your mind or cannot
get hired in your chosen profession, you still have a degree, still have
transferable skills, and have many secondary skills for working  in any
field you gained in college like critical thinking, research, and analysis.

And, I've already felt discriminated against as I looked into a camp
counselor position at the local rec center for the summer
since upon hearing that I could not run around after kids unassisted due to
my vision impairment, she sounded totally uninterested. It came about when
she named the camps and one was about sports, and I said I wanted to do one
of the other camps focussing on more arts and crafts rather than sports and
then said something about running around  with kids.
So, she then won't even consider me because she claims that all camps need
staff to run around and literally watch kids.
I think she may be exaggerating as  kids do not do running all day except
for sports camp.

So, go after what you want and where you feel you would fit best.

True, there is many teachers here of sighted students, but
from what you have shared I think being a special educator would be a better
fit for you.
You want to work in small groups or on one to one basis.
Good luck with your decission.

Ashley