[nobe-l] another prospective teacher introduction and questions

Jordana Engebretsen JEngebretsen at KPBSD.k12.ak.us
Thu Apr 14 15:57:56 UTC 2016

Hi Valerie,
Congratulations getting close to your goal!  About the Praxis test, it is not hard!  However, you do need to prepare and study with the materials the company gives to you.  I requested Braille materials and I did get them.  It took time to prepare.  I had a hard time passing the writing part of the test because English is my second language.  After three times, I passed the writing part of the test.  If you ask for alternative format and the accommodations that you need, you will schedule your own test taking time with ETS.  I took it several years ago, maybe things have changed.
Best wishes and smiles,
Jordana

-----Original Message-----
From: NOBE-L [mailto:nobe-l-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Valerie Gibson via NOBE-L
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2016 4:32 AM
To: National Organization of Blind Educators Mailing List
Cc: Valerie Gibson
Subject: [nobe-l] another prospective teacher introduction and questions

Hi,

I’ve been on the list, lurking, for a while. Mostly because I’ve been so busy with other things, but my education’s coming down to the wire, and I can put off questions regarding the teaching profession no longer.

I’m a senior in college and am hoping to teach in the elementary mainstream school setting.

My methods courses are coming up—the ones our college makes us take before student teaching but where we’re in a school classroom observing and fulfilling other assignment requirements.

My advisor is really interested in helping me through this process, but she admits she does not know the best way to do so.  I’m not really sure there has been a totally blind person pass through that program, who wasn’t teaching special ed.

So, what accommodations would need to be had for me to teach mainstream kids?  Any detail, no matter how small, would help here.

Also, what did you all think of the praxis exam?  Did you request any accommodations?  Did it take forever to get them?  When I look at it, it seems it’s a bit more of a pain to register for it, and not as straight forward, if you have a disability than if you don’t.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks. :)