[nobe-l] My apologies...Re: Math and Grades K-3

J Acheson listsetal at aol.com
Mon Jun 13 03:32:02 UTC 2016

Yes, the lines are magnetic. Everything in the kits or magnetic. Magnetic operation signs are also provided in both print and braille. The numbers are from one through zero. The reason there is no number 10, or any number over the value of 10, is because you create whatever numbers you are using with individual numbered magnets.

If you know of a teacher of the visually impaired in your area or a program for the visually impaired in your local school system, contact them and ask if they have this kit. I doubt they would mind you looking at it.

You can also go online to aph.org and read a description of the kits. In fact, there may be other kits in which you would be interested.

In addition, you may wish to check out your local teacher supply store. There are often magnetic Materials available that work well on magnetic whiteboard's. You can buy magnetic whiteboard's at Walmart in various sizes.

Another idea for getting shapes and other items that you could use on a magnetic board is to look to your local high schools. Some schools offer "plastics". This is a course similar to woodshop or industrial arts. These classes have students making things with plastic. You could ask if the students could create various shapes in different sizes, colors, or other types of materials you may need be able to use plastics and you can then afix magnets to one side. I have had things made by industrial arts classes in the past. I pay for the materials and the students do the work for a grade.

Remember, too, in the lower primary grades you may use a felt board. Well this is not used for numbers, other then number recognition, it is readily used for shapes and picture creations. If you afix a textured material on one side of the felt you would be able to distinguish colors or other features that were necessary for your instruction.

Do you know how to print? I had a friend in college who were studying to be a math teacher. She learned to print. In order to get things in a straight line on the board, she used body parts. For example, she made her first line off the top of her head, the second line was in line with her eyebrow, the third line with the tip of her nose, etc.. Another method is to have somebody at church straight lines going across a magnetic board. This enables you to write on the board or to place magnets in a straight line. It also allows you to hang pre-printed material on the board in straight lines.

You can also purchase an inexpensive magnetic whiteboard and have lines etched across it as well. You could use these etched marks to help students line up their work correctly and for yourself to do the same.

If you do use a magnetic system you must have a divided box available for you to store the magnets. The obvious reason here is that you want to be able to retrieve desired numbers and symbols quickly. Having them well organized is he essential to accomplish this. Check out craft boxes at stores like Michael's, Hobby Lobby, and Jo Ann's.

You can teach many skills and concepts using cards and cards are easily brailled on.

Sent from my iPhone