[nobe-l] Bringing Cell Phones in the Classroom

nmpbrat at aol.com nmpbrat at aol.com
Mon Mar 21 01:58:44 UTC 2016

I don't see bringing cell phones into the classroom as an issue.  In fact, my principal actually gives out his cell phone number and for certain situations, wants us to text him about things....ie. reminders for IEP meetings, etc.  Also, my school is allowing some use of cell phones by students in the classroom...for academic purposes of course.  In those cases, I may need mine.  Additionally, we use some behavior communication sites to communicate with parents and they are apps on the phone.  I use it as a timing device as well.  There are many applications for it.  Mine is of course accessible for me.   I think they have their place.
With that said, they obviously can become a problem if some common sense is not used.  Obviously it isn't appropriate if the teacher is playing games on their phone instead of teaching.  Also, I don't think it is a good practice to leave your phone unattended, as was mentioned in your post.  I think if you leave the classroom, it should either be with you or placed somewhere out of sight of students and safe.  I'm guessing in the case you mentioned, there may be a little more to the story.  I'm guessing, at the very least, that there must have been some school and/or board of education policy which she violated, in order for her to be terminated.
Nicole