[nobe-l] library careers or volunteers

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Wed May 25 00:28:15 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I know this is the educators list and most of you are teachers or in school to become teachers.
However, library work Is related to child development. So I thought I’d ask here.

Are there any librarians or library assistants here? Any in NFB you can connect me to?
I’d like to know if anyone has worked in a library in children’s programming.

I’d also like to hear if you volunteered helping lead literacy programs in a library.

I have my BA in liberal arts. My broad interdisciplinary course work qualifies me to work with children as an assistant whether it be a teacher’s assistant or library assistant.
I feel a desire to help further literacy, particularly in children. I’ve also not ruled out going back to school as a grad student to pursue a teaching degree.
So, to get experience, I’m trying to volunteer to lead children’s programs at a library. I’m not sure what it will entail; reading to kids and with kids while discussing the stories is definitely one thing. I can do that with twin vision books.
I read with inflections and enthusiasm; so this should be doable.

However, I’m not sure how I’d facilitate other activities that seem visual. The kids are young and may not be able to verbalize what all they are making or they may do so and not be accurate since kids have a huge imagination.
Activities such as drawing, finger painting, and pastels are some things they have done and mentioned.
I do have some vision, but I can only make out and identify some colors; contrast is real important for me to see and identify pictures.

Any kid’s ideas would be welcome.
Ashley