[nobe-l] raised letters

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 28 03:58:32 UTC 2016

Hi all,

When I informally teach/tutor other blind people, I might need raised letters to label graphics. I’d use braille if they knew braille. Those losing vision later in life do not know braille and may lack the sensativity to read it.

What low tech solutions work well? I’m visually impaired myself, but can see enough to draw the letters provided there is enough contrast. I’ve heard a common method is using glue or puff paint. The drawback is that it takes a long time to dry and it is not very raised. Maybe there is something else that takes less time to dry that I can buy.
Ideally, I’d like letters I might be able to move around but are also durable enough to be used a while. I like the idea of the wheatley kit from APH since its various lines and shapes can show a lot, but I don’t think it has raised letters.

Is there some other type of craft paint I can get from a store? Is there something I can draw with that raises up on paper? Maybe a thermal pen? How much does that cost?

Thanks for any ideas.

Ashley