[nobe-l] Calling on students

Emily K. Michael emily.k.michael at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 19:13:54 UTC 2017

Hi Danielle,

I’ve done away with hand raising in my classroom. I explain at the beginning of class that I won’t be able to see raised hands, and I invite students to just pipe up when they want to speak. There are a few moments of chaos, but the class starts to self-regulate. I’m not sure how well this would work with the grade levels you’re teaching, but I think if you set an expectation, they could learn to go with it.

Best,
Emily
—
Emily K. Michael