[nobe-l] Urgent helpful tips for Education classes and observational learning

Sharon Dudley sharon.a.dudley at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 02:46:11 UTC 2017

Hi Valerie,

I teach 1st grade and have taught Kindergarten and Pre-K for over 20 years.
I agree with all of the previous comments, and I just want to add that
young children often will tell you if they see someone breaking the rules.
Such as what happened today. Elizabeth told me that Brandon was touching
her hair. The response I gave is appropriate for blind teachers OR sighted
teachers. "Elizabeth, do you want Brandon to touch your hair?" She said no.
"Then look at him and tell him 'Do not touch my hair.'" If you were
observing my classroom, you would hear the problem and the solution without
any difficulty. I suspect this will be the case in most classrooms.

I also use a color system for behavior in my classroom.
Blue/green/yellow/orange/red. The students know what the rules are but
they're kids, so they like to test the limits. Sometimes my first-graders
do run in the classroom. You can totally hear that, and when they do it you
can move their colors. This is just an example to help lighten some of your
anxiety. I won't promise you won't miss anything, but you'll catch more
than you think.

Sharon Dudley, NBCT