[nobe-l] Sharing post from a sighted father

Michelle Creedy michelle.creedy at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 18:42:08 UTC 2017

I wonder what sorts of goals this young man has? I work with teens and older children and I am blind and would be happy to chat with this family. Having mentors is so important! As I approach my 40's I can't help but miss the blind woman who used to be a mentor to me. Sometimes, she was the only one who believed in my goals that others found silly such as adoption of a child. I believe more and more that we blind people need a strong positive network around us. One of my blind students asked me something yesterday about whether I thought she could do something. She wanted me to be really honest. She told me what it was and I said yes, with the right training,  in blindness skills, that thing is possible although you may still encounter some attitudinal barriers. That's where the really hard work begins because you have to overcome them. Thank goodness there are organizations like the NFB.

Michelle

Sent from my iPhone