[nobe-l] help dealing with the visual side of teaching

Heather Field missheather at comcast.net
Sun Feb 19 07:22:50 UTC 2017

Hello Kayla,
Since blind teachers need to teach their students different ways of
communicating with them, and they usually need to organise their classroom
so that resources have braille labels, and so on, I would not volunteer for
this experiment. I am a teacher with over 30 years experience and I wouldn't
be a teacher for a day if this opportunity was offered to me. Since a blind
teacher needs to make specific modifications to the classroom to ensure that
he/she can function independently, just walking into an unknown classroom
with a class of students whom you have never met before seems to be setting
oneself up for an discouraging experience.
Many blind teachers are successfully working as teachers, but they set up
their classroom to suit them and they teach their students to follow
classroom interaction rules that work for a blind teacher. So, while I
believe you could become a successful blind teacher, and you could certainly
volunteer to be a teacher for a day, I don't believe that going into a
strange classroom for a day would accomplish anything positive for you.
Just my thoughts, of course.
Warmly,
Heather