[nobe-l] help dealing with the visual side of teaching

vparadiso92 at gmail.com vparadiso92 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 13:31:19 UTC 2017

Hi Kayla,

I appreciate you sharing your feelings. While I agree with Heather, simply walking in and volunteering to teach does seem like a lot of work and stress to me. It doesn't mean it can't be done. I would learn more about the program and ways that you can deal with this should this be the case. Especially if you still really want to do this.  There's always a way. For example, I have substituted without having materials in advance. You work with what you have, based on the students needs.

 A colleague of mine could not come in just last week and my school was short on staff and asked me to cover his class. I could tell he was nervous but I did not want to say no. It worked out fine. Knowing that ultimately what the teacher wanted was to work on reading comprehension since it was an English class, I  used one of the subject specific items from my own class so I could look at the material and used it with the students. When I talk to the teacher about it later he said it was fine. You strategize. If I didn't have this, I would've use what was provided  having one of The students read aloud if it really came down to it. Or use cayenne FB reader and scan the materials immediately using my phone.

Warmly,

--
Valeria