[nobe-l] Writing on the board

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 16 23:56:47 UTC 2017

Tara,

Congradulations on making it to student teach. I am still considering being
a paraprofessional or professional working with kids or youth so I'm still
on the list. I've enjoyed my volunteer work with kids. But when I tried
elementary ed in undergrad, I was way too discouraged. I graduated with a
liberal arts degree instead.

I hope you make it through student teaching fine. First graders are usually
nice and flexible. The upper elementary kids are more rambunctious and may
focus on your blindness more.

In your own classroom, it will be easier as you can set up the board the way
you want and it will stay that way as you will be the only one using it.
Also, you can have more access to sighted assistance if you choose to teach
with that help using other students or parent volunteers.
Writing on the fly during presenting anything whether its math symbols
or something else is something I've struggled with. I can print alright but
usually cannot read it back because of my nystagmus.

Here are my thoughts on this. I have some central vision and I can actually
print letters using dark
ink on a dry erase board. Can you see anything? Do you know what the print
symbols look like? I think it will be easier if you either can see large
print or at least know what the symbols look like. I say this because the
kids can describe what they are writing or take your hand and show you what
they are writing. But it will not mean anything to you unless you know what
the symbols look like.

I do not know what vision you have if any, so I'll stick to ideas that work
without using it.

1. If you know print well and can write clearly, you can just write on the
board anyways. You can use tape or a ruler to help you make the writing in a
straight line.
2. Using wiki sticks will work. But might get a little too tedious and time
consuming to cut the sticks down to the right size.

3. Instead of writing on the board, you can prepare things in advance. You
can type it out on large poster size paper. If you think you will use it
multiple times, I like the idea of laminating it. You can label these sheets
in braille at the top for organization.
4. Prepare the lesson in a powerpoint slide format. Assuming you have access
to a laptop there or can bring your own, you can simply hook the laptop up
to a monitor or projector and show the class. I will mention here that a
college professor used powerpoint in math class. So, this idea is not
limited to blind teachers.
5. Use premade symbols and numbers. I assume they make  them premade. After
all there is premade letters and numbers; I would guess there is symbols
such as <, >, and =.
I am thinking of magnetic or felt letters. Some white boards are magnetic
and hopefully yours is at school.
The good thing about magnetic symbols is they are raised so you can easily
feel them, but also large and pretty enough for all to see as they come in
various colors. Also, magnets move! Since magnets move easily, this gives
you flexibility to show things or solve a problem a student has on the spot.
6. If you have access to a computer in class that hooks up to a projector,
maybe you can type out the lesson as you teach assuming you are able to use
a screen reader.
7. Do you have a braille notetaker such as the braille note?
I have an old notetaker from college days when rehab purchased equipment for
me.
But newer models of notetakers that are say five years old or less have
support for nemeth.
If you know nemeth braille and are comfortable writing in a linear way on
the notetaker, you can use it.
I know not all people are comfortable writing math in a linear way and need
to write it vertically on a perkins brailler for the spatial layout.
If that is you, then I totally understand.
But if you can use the notetaker, take advantage of that.
You can hook the notetaker up to a monitor to show the class.
This way is actually real helpful to you since you can write on the spot and
see it in braille for yourself.
You can also easily edit your work because you have the braille display.
8. You can also teach with premade examples already created for you assuming
the teacher allows this. I had a few math teachers do this and showed the
class on a projector, so this idea is not just a blind teacher method. Use
examples from the teacher's edition of the textbook. You can just open the
book and lay it on a camera for projection if you have such a setup with a
lcd board. Instead of drawing, I used this method for delivering speeches in
class. It works well. Just remember to label the sheets you are showing, so
you know what you are showing them.
Having someone photocopy you pages you need from the teacher's books will
also work as long as you have something to project it. Most schools have
this ability.
If the school has old technology, you can also still project things. You can
copy things onto transparencies andlay the transparency on the machine for
projection. You probably want to combine this last idea with others so you
can have more flexibility in teaching rather than just premade examples.
. The danger I see since you are a student teacher in using premade examples
only is they may doubt your ability to teach. Its already made up for you
and often steps are explained for you. They may want you to create something
from scratch. Even if they don't dictate how you teach, too much reliance on
premade materials may make you look bad. I know sighted teachers do this all
the time in real teaching. But, its just that people doubt the abilities of
blind teachers so as a student teacher you want to look real competent and
not give them reason to doubt you.

If we have more information such as the technology the school has available,
we might be able to help more with alternate ways of teaching.
Some schools have smart boards which might be useful to you, for instance.

HTH,
Ashley