[nobe-l] First year teaching questions

vparadiso92 at gmail.com vparadiso92 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 01:59:22 UTC 2017

Hi Tara,

Sounds like you're off to a great start. I think the points you have outlined are important. Just a few more ideas.
It may be a good idea to talk to some of your colleagues regarding things such as the school culture, clubs, activities, and ideas or strategies they may utilized throughout the school year. This is especially the case for teachers who also teach the third grade. Since teachers often follow a curriculum, many materials may already be available to you. I would ask your colleague/administrators about things such as pacing calendar/scope and sequence is. These are specific to each subject, and they are very important for the younger grades. I would try to get a hold of them right away if you can, since they will impact how you plan and break out your lessons.

In addition, I'm sure you have already thought about this but since you are working with younger children, make sure you establish your routines for fire drill/playground session/field trips immediately. Children need structure. And you're going to want to have the systems in place as soon as you can. Your school may have a specific protocol, so I would find out what that is  first.

Lastly, I would ask about any specific procedures regarding discipline. There may be a school wide policy regarding discipline plans for the staff. If you already know what that is, then you won't need to ask questions regarding what to do if specific situations arise later on during the school year. At my school for example, there are very specific outreach strategies that we are supposed to implement when students exhibit certain behaviors.

I hope this helps! Keep us posted and congratulations on your first job! The first year teaching is always exciting.

Warmly,

--
Valeria