[nobe-l] childcare and supervision of kids

Heather Field missheather at comcast.net
Thu Jul 13 19:10:26 UTC 2017

Hello Kayla and Ashley,

I run my own private, in-home school and have worked with preschool age
children.
I am also a friend of Brandy Wojcik, who had her article in Future
Reflections.

I believe that Brandy and I would both tell you that volunteering where you
are not able to organise your environment and structure rules and activities
to allow for easy incorporation of nonvisual techniques is not the way to go
in trying to acquire teaching experience.
It can be very demoralising and discouraging as you are setting yourself up
to fail, since you're not able to set the teaching space and activities up
to allow you to set the rules and use nonvisual teaching techniques.

I am a qualified special education teacher and learned to be a successful
educator by working in my own classroom, and in mainstream classrooms, where
I was able to set things up to suit my teaching methods as a blind teacher.

Brandy worked at a daycare for a number of years where she was also able to
organise things to allow her to work using nonvisual techniques. She then
went to college and became a qualified teacher.
So, we both developed our nonvisual methodology in an environment in which
we were able to control the variables.
If you are able to experiment with what techniques work best for you in the
environment where you volunteer, seeing the same children often enough so
that you can teach them how you want them to interact with you, then that
sounds like it would be very useful for you.
However, if you're volunteering where the sighted people are always in
charge and aren't willing to make adaptions for you to take your place as an
equal in supervision and involvement, using nonvisual techniques, then it
sounds to me as if this would not be worth your trouble.
Indeed, since the children haven't learnt your rules and requirements, it is
usually discouraging.
Learning some good behaviour management strategies is very important and
it's unlikely that you'll do that in volunteer programmes. The author John
Rosemond is my favourite author of books that set forth solid principles for
behaviour management of children of all ages. Although his books are
directed at parents the principles are applicable in the classroom. His
books are available in Kindle format and would be useful for you to read.
Other than that, I'd encourage you to talk to some blind teachers who are
already working and get an idea from them about how they teach from day to
day. This will be much more helpful for you, in terms of deciding whether
you have the temperament and strong enough desire to do what it takes to
become a teacher, than putting yourself in volunteer situations where you
are up against so many problems created by working in an environment based
on how sighted supervisors work.
Of course, this is just my opinion.
The National Organization of Blind Educators has a website
where you could probably contact blind school teachers who would be happy to
talk with you.
I would also be happy to chat with you by phone if you're interested. Just
e-mail me off list if interested.

Warmly,
Heather Field