[nobe-l] childcare and supervision of kids

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 13 20:14:57 UTC 2017

Hello,
Thank you. It was Brandy who wrote the article; I was trying to remember her
name!

I realize volunteering in which I'm doing now is different than teaching.
Someone has set up the schedule and activities.
However, I did find a camp site to be a volunteer assistant which seems to
be more open minded than ones in the past.
A big challenge seems to be knowing who kids are and where they are. They
are grouped at tables but that can vary, although not very much.
I've asked them to tell me their names as they approach me to get my
attention, and most tell me who they are.
They are accomodating by letting me bring in some of my games which are
adapted for a blind person such as my uno cards.

As to the child care job, there would be accomodations in place. I know that
kids will not know who I am or how to interact with me and this is something
I'd have to explain to new kids as they come in.
I'm not sure what rules they would need to follow with me that they do not
already follow in that setting.
There is a lot of flexibility in what activities go on at the drop in day
care. I just had a conversation with the director of the place. I clarified
what kids were doing the room and what staff members could do and were
expected to do. She indicated it was a lot of hands on play and interaction.
Leading small group games such as duck duck goose were up to the staff
members in the room.

I know what you mean Heather about needing flexibility to incorporate
accomodations and techniques in the setting. I think this is why I was
discouraged in the past and frustrated with the kids and those volunteer
positions did not work out.
So, in  a childcare job, I would definitely consider the setting and how
much flexibility  I had in incorporating nonvisual strategies.

Ashley