[nobe-l] Therapy Dogs

taranabella0 at gmail.com taranabella0 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 23:22:09 UTC 2017

Hello all,

I've been to several interviews now where principals have told me that they have a therapy dog either with the counselor or the special education teacher. I am a little concerned because I have a guide dog and comments have been made about how the dog would probably be very excited around my dog. I reassure them that my dog is well-trained and behaves well around other dogs, but I worry about the therapy dog's reaction to my guide. Almost every school I have interviewed with has mentioned a therapy dog and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this. If I were hired, should I set up a time where the dogs can meet? Should I request the dog be kept in a specific room or area of the school where I will not be traveling with a group of students? Any advice on how to better answer this question during an interview and how to make sure distractions are not an issue on day one would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tara Abella