[nobe-l] Therapy Dogs

Judy Jones sonshines59 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 00:43:40 UTC 2017

My experience as a guide dog user, I would let inquiring personnel know that
your dog is your responsibility, and that you have parameters your dog is
expected to obey.  They might be concerned about control of the dog.

You can't control how their therapy dog is handled, but you can control
yours.  I would play it by ear, and if the school is open to the dogs being
introduced, that could be a good thing all around.

Officially, your dog is not a pet, but a working dog.  I do not know the
official classification of therapy dogs.  Friends of ours have had one of
their pet dogs go through the therapy dog certification in our area, but the
training is brief before the certification, and I am not sure what is all
involved, but certainly nowhere near the training and certification guide
dogs go through.

Let us know how everything goes.

Judy