[nobe-l] I would welcome your thoughts on cell phone procedures

Lisa E Roszyk rosz1878 at fredonia.edu
Sat Jun 10 21:27:14 UTC 2017

Happy Saturday Craig and fellow Educators,

The 'cell phone' has to be one of my least favorite devices. It has created
a common practice of nonverbal communication and sight driven jokes. That's
how I feel as an individual level.

In my teaching practice I take a diffrrent point of view mostly for the
sake of choosing my battles. As you said, atudents are able to access there
phones even during instructional time and despite procedure, continue to be
distracted by their devices. But, what if they are supppose to be on their
devices? BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) gives students aome control over
their own acedemic lives. I encourage students to utilize Google docs or
drive to access matwrials. Giving them resposiblities on their devices is
slowly showing a pattern of increased will power and ability to focus
without it during traditional instruction. I don't know if this is possible
in your building, but showing them you trust them with their devices may
lead to them being responsible with their devices. iSTE has great resources
on cell phones and different procedures in the classroom.

Lisa

On Jun 10, 2017 8:28 AM, "Craig Cooper via NOBE-L" <nobe-l at nfbnet.org>