[nobe-l] First day volunteering

taranabella0 at gmail.com taranabella0 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 19:57:21 UTC 2017

Hi Kayla,

I volunteered in several after school programs and student taught in first grade, so here are some suggestions.
Try bringing some of your own activities for the kids to do. Kids absolutely love crafts made from wiki sticks or games like braille Uno. The afterschool program director always appreciated my initiative when it came to bringing an activity for the kids to do. As far as tracking where students are, make it a rule that if a child leaves your table, they have to let you know where they are going. Stickers are an extremely cheap and magical reinforcer for this rule. As far as art projects like finger painting, kids don't typically need a lot of help with these activities. When my kids were coloring or painting, I would talk to them about what they were drawing, give suggestions for colors, and help them clean up afterwards. The more you talk to kids, the more they will talk to you and the easier it will be to manage them. Like others have said, this volunteer setting is going to be extremely different from teaching a class, so don't think that your success in this program will determine if you will be a successful teacher. Good luck and pick up some stickers!

Tara

Sent from my iPhone