[nobe-l] Questions from the field.

Kathy goldendolphin17 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 23 01:09:16 UTC 2017

Hello,

I have use the rug situation for mini lessons when I have covered for a new teacher who is out observing a master teacher. It definitely can work because the kids are close to you during that time and you can hear if there is miss behavior. You might not know who it is, but you definitely can hear that the kids on the right are not paying attention and you can draw them in. I don't know if your teacher has specific seating assignments for them while on the rug, but holy cow does that make a difference! I covered for a kindergarten class a couple weeks ago where they had specific seats, and they were incredibly behaved because that teacher knew who should not be sitting by whom.

As for the room layout that you described, I think that when the kids are out and about scattered, you could have a chair on that central rug or at the edge of the central rug for your homebase, but you simply need to work on learning the room in the placements of those tables. If your teacher would make minor movements in the tables to be more linear or cubicle in orientation to each other, that would help. The random artistically scattered layout does not work very well for a blind person. Straight edges and rectangular or square perimeter works the best. This might not be very hard for her to adjust for you.

Kathy Nimmer
Even in the valleys, keep believing in the mountains.