[nobe-l] Any blind teachers working with autistic students?

nmpbrat at aol.com nmpbrat at aol.com
Tue May 2 03:35:09 UTC 2017

Miso,
Just a brief background on me....I have both my BA and MA in Special Ed. and I've been teaching special ed. for the past 15 years and had students in almost every disability category imaginable.  In my opinion, I would first focus your answer on how you might prevent that type of behavior or at least de-escalate the student.  I would discuss your behavior management techniques in the classroom and behavior plans that you may put in place as needed.  This shows them that you are interested in being proactive rather than reactive.  Obviously, even the best well-laid plans can go awry and there may be occasions where violent behavior occurs.  In these cases, I would try not to get too specific though, explaining that each child and each situation is unique.  What I would say to them is that you would follow any building or district procedures, attend any trainings as needed, and that in cases where the potential exists for a student to exhibit violent behavior, you would put a crisis plan in place to address that kind of situation with that particular student(s).  When developing the crisis plan, all stakeholders would be aware and involved in its creation as well as its implementation...make sure to emphasize that it is a team approach and team decision.  This is what I found to work and seems to be common practice.  You could give them general ideas of what might go into the crisis plan....ie. what you might do with the other students, who would be called to assist, etc...but again, i would remind them that these situations can happen to anyone and that each situation and student is unique and so your response is also going to be unique to that student.
Just my 2 cents....
HTH,
Nicole