[nobe-l] Is braille overrated?

Smith, Pauline L PSmith4 at dmc.org
Thu Jan 18 15:08:11 UTC 2018

Good Morning,

I wouldn't necessarily call someone who doesn't know or use Braille illiterate.  A significant portion of the totally blind population at all age levels cannot use Braille due to various physical and/or other factors.  I will paste my comments submitted to another list below.

The reliance on technology mirrors the trend in the overall world.  Even people with vision are more reliant on tech--using their phones, tablets, etc. to perform simple tasks and relying on spellcheck to proffread written materials.

There also seems to be a trend toward discouraging the production of Braille materials.  For example, when I signed up for paratransit in the community where I attended college, someone called and asked if I would accept recorded rider instructions although Braille was a choice for alternate media on the application.  I have had other examples of this kind of thing over the years.  One consequence of this thendency is although I am a Braille teacher, I talk the talk rather than walk the walk.  This is not good.  I prefer getting as much Braille material as possible.

Pauline Smith, TVI
Braille Instructor