[nobe-l] Getting Started

Raymond Clavin rhclavin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 08:51:16 UTC 2018

Hello,

I have a question for those of you who work with sighted students.  As a
blind person, how difficult is it to get a teaching position at a
mainstream “regular” high school.

The reason I ask is because, after twenty years as a mental health
counselor, I’m looking to change careers.  I enjoy teaching as I’ve done a
little at the community college level.  I also like working with teens
although as a counselor it was primarily one on one.

I’ve enrolled in a secondary education  certificate progran at a local
college and start this fall.  My concentrations will be in Social Studies
and English.  With two concentrations it’ll take a bit longer but I want to
increase my chances of being hired.

I know it’s a couple years away but I’m wondering about job interviews. I
haven’t been on one since the 90’s and I was sighted then.  I realize I’ll
have to prove myself in ways sighted applicants will not.  Anyway, if any
of you would care to share your job interview experiences I’d greatly
appreciate it.

Thanks,

Heath C