[nobe-l] Seattle, An op-ed opposing Minimum wages for some people with disabilities

S. Kashdan s_kashdan at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 5 16:27:08 UTC 2018

Greetings colleagues,

A few days ago a neighbor called my attention to the op-ed in the Seattle
Times at the link below.

Minimum-wage mandate will hurt my disabled son’s prospects in the  Seattle
Times

https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/minimum-wage-mandate-will-hurt-my-disabled-sons-prospects/

As an adult who is blind and a teacher of adults with disabilities,
including visual impairments, I am totally in support of all people with
disabilities receiving incomes that enable them/us to live lives with
dignity. I don't believe that anyone's value should be calculated on the
basis of an external measure of value to an employer.

I am also sympathetic to the concerns of the op-ed writer. But, I don't
think that reversion to permitting sub-minimum wages is helpful to those who
are classified as worth less to employers, especially if they do not have
any source of supplemental financial support.

Please circulate this message. I hope that all those who are familiar with
and supportive of the Seattle Minimum-wage mandate and the issues involved
can write to the Seattle Times responding to this op-ed.
The contact information is on the web page at the link above.

Sincerely,
Sylvie Kashdan
Kaizen Program For New English Learners With Visual Limitations