[nobe-l] Grading papers and tests

Heather Field missheather at comcast.net
Tue Sep 11 01:07:27 UTC 2018

Hello Michaela,

The answer to your question depends somewhat on the age of the children whom
you are teaching.
Also, I'm wondering if you're referring to in-class work which they complete
and which must be marked at the end of activity, or if you're referring to
assignments which you can take home and mark.

If you are referring to in-class activities and the children are grade two
or above, you can teach them to swap books/worksheets etc. and mark each
other's work as you go through the correct answers.
If you wish, you can collect the papers later and take them home to copy the
scores, check for correctness etc..

If you're referring to assignments which you take home to mark, and they're
not completed on a computer, you can take the work home with you and have a
reader assist you in marking.
You don't have to tell anyone how you mark their work so, if they have
confidentiality issues, you don't have to tell them your alternative
techniques.
If you decide to tell them that you use a reader, then you can have your
reader sign a confidentiality contract.

I know some teachers hire their own teacher aid for certain portions of the
day, for example, hand-writing or journalling.
Others have a parent roster and have parents supervise 1 or two groups while
you are working with another and assessing their work, the parents simply
complete a card for each student which shows their score.

Some teachers request an aide as a reasonable accommodation, particularly if
they're teaching a young class.
Still other teachers trade with colleagues and teach the colleague's class
in areas that don't require written answers, such as Mental Math, group
reading etc., while the colleague teaches your class in the areas which have
written answers and require visual checking by a teacher.

to give you specific suggestions, I will need you to give me more, specific
information.
Many teachers have walked this road before you, or are walking it now, so
there's sure to be answers.
I'm happy to chat on the phone if you think that would be helpful.
Just e-mail me off list and we can arrange a time to chat.
I hope some of this is helpful.

Warmly,
Heather field